Air Pressure monitoring system

Hi Vanleigh Owners
We have a 2020 39fbb with a recommended tire pressure of 123psi which I would check every travel day and think no more about it, well recently installed a TST tire pressure monitoring system that recommends setting high warning at 25% above your cold tire pressure, which is now freaking me out as down here in Florida it is reading upwards of 141psi on travel days which seems really high to me, but my high pressure warning is set to 164psi which also seems extremely high to me. any comments greatly appreciated
Thanks spud706

Hi Spud, I’m assuming you have the same tires we have on our 2020 39FBB which are Goodyear G614.

Goodyear has some good information regarding the tire inflation, loading and maintenance in this guide Tire Care Guide. They advise that pressures should always be checked when cold prior to driving to get an accurate reading as pressure can increase with temperature/driving. Those pressures can change up or down with elevation changes as well. It’s also a good idea to weigh the rig to make sure you’re not overloaded (overall or side to side) which can cause tire loading issues.

Are those pressure readings equal across all of the tires or just one side or one tire? If all of the tires have similar readings that’s good. If one is considerably more than the others, that’s a sign something should be wrong. Check for overheating brakes or wheel bearings on that wheel as well as any damage on the tread face and the sidewalls (inside & outside).

I typically inflate ours to ~125 PSI. I don’t have any TPMS installed, but do check them and the wheel hubs multiple times on travel days with an infrared temperature gun. I don’t think those pressures you listed are necessarily an issue if they are all consistent and you’re not seeing exceedingly high temperatures. I think the temperature is a better indication of problems as heat buildup will occur more when a tire has problems.

It might not be a bad idea to check with Goodyear to be sure those higher pressures under use are not a problem.

Hope this helps.

There are always a few schools of thought shared on tire pressure; fill to cold on the sidewall and fill to weight load. I would check your inflation table for your tire and check your unit weight and then configure the TPMS off of that.

I have Sailuns on our rig and have used EEZ TPMS for the past 5 years (although would like to change to TST just for their monitoring screens). As with Stuart, I do not use the cold pressure on the side walls but use the manufacturing inflation charts for the tires. We are frequent users of CAT scales with any change to our unit and used to do the math to attain the correct load vs inflation referencing the tire chart. We have since gone to Escapees Smart weight obtaining the weight load for each individual tire and inflate based on that load.

Our EEZ tire has us configure 20% above and 10% below the set PSI. When driving your tire pressure will increase especially on the side that is getting direct sun but we have not met the alarm threshold. I also check our tires / hubs with a temp gun at every stop including fuel stops. While I have a glove on for the dirty diesel pump I will make a quick rub around the tire for any debri I may have picked up.

Different tire so recommend inflation is 110psi cold but with my TST monitor never seen more than a 12psi increase when driving including FL.

I think real key is are the pressures the same give or take for all 4 and have you maintained your wheel bearings? If so wouldn’t worry a ton. If you haven’t repacked bearings I would look at doing so… that will also allow inspection of brakes etc.

Best article on how to correctly set tire pressures. Start with weighing your rig.

I’ve been using TST 507 flow through on my Landmark for 5 years and the Beacon 41FLB (TajMyHaul 2.0) for 3 years. The pressure increase during the day always freaks me out. Often +20 or more especially on the side with sun beating on them. 123 is the max cold psi but based on charts for my Goodyears I run 110 psi cold.

The most important reading is the temp- if one tire is higher than the rest by more than 10+ degrees it is an indication that that tire may be ready to fail. Pull over & check it out.

Don’t forget to have your wheel bearings repacked & new seal according to your manual for your rig. I do mine every 10-15,000 miles on the rig.

I am in Arizona so it gets a workout hear as well as the circle tour to Wisconsin to Montana & back.

Enjoy the TST system

Bob :cowboy_hat_face:

Really appreciate all the information makes me feel a little better, right now I have Westlake tires with load range H all the pressures are within 1 to 3 psi when running with temps running around 88f to 91f. The next thing is going to run the rig over some scales and see how much the wife has loaded :smiley:
Thanks spud

Those pressures and temps look normal and reasonable to me. :slight_smile: